You are in: Home › Articles › Adults with Incapacity › Managing Bank Accounts

stack of coins

If you want to manage the finances of an adult whose affairs are fairly straightforward, the Access to Funds Scheme may be more appropriate than financial guardianship.

A standard application form should be sent to the Office of the Public Guardian.  It includes a medical certificate and asks for details of the adult’s accounts, income and expenditure.   

It’s important that anyone managing money for someone else keeps it separate from their own.  It's more transparent and helps avoid any questions about what forms part of someone's estate when they die or what should be included in financial assessments for benefits or care.

Application forms are available from the website of the Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland).

Contact us for further information.

'absolutely fantastic...their knowledge, efficiency and manner have truly been second to none'